Latins do have a romantic reputation now, don’t they? Every Valentine’s Day brings out a new host of piropos, or flirtatious sayings around here. I love them! They go both ways, too: from the man to the woman or from the woman to the man.
Here’s a sampling of a few. (They flow much nicer in Spanish, and many of them rhyme):
- If beauty were seconds, you’d be 24 hours.
- When you take a sip, I want to be the glass, to meet at your lips and give you a kiss on the mouth
- You’re late! I’ve been waiting for you my whole life.
- To tell myself to stop thinking of you is like telling my heart to stop beating.
- You’re like a capuccino: sweet, hot, and you make me nervous!
- I’ll only stop loving you the day an artist can paint the sound of a tear falling…
- Didn’t you get hurt when you fell from the sky?
- Heaven must be sad to have lost a beautiful angel like you
- When you’re in my arms, I forever wonder how much I owe destiny for the fortune it gave me to be with you
- If your arms were my chains, and loving you my prison, what a joy it would be to serve my sentence!
- I wish I were one of your tears: born in your eyes, fall down your cheeks, and die on your lips.